The local AARP Tax-Aide Program provides free electronic filing of federal and state income tax returns for middle and low-income taxpayers.
Started in 1968, AARP Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free, volunteer run tax preparation program, which served 2.6 million people in 2012. Tax-Aide volunteers are available to prepare current year, prior year or amended returns, determine whether or not people need to file a return, or answer any other tax questions they might have. AARP membership is not a requirement to receive assistance and no appointment is necessary.
Assistance is available in three locations in Lincoln County:
• Newport – Newport Senior Activity Center, 20 SE 2nd St., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, from Feb. 4 through April 15.
• Waldport – Washington Federal Savings Bank, 325 NW Hemlock St., from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday, from Feb. 4 through April 9.
• Lincoln City – Lincoln City Community Center, 2150 Oar Place, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday, and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays, from Feb. 4 through April 12.
What to bring along:
• Photo identification for taxpayer and spouse (mandatory this year);
• Social Security cards or ITIN letters for every person on the return (also mandatory);
• A copy of last year’s tax return;
• W-2 forms from each employer;
• W2-G if you had gambling winnings;
• All 1099 forms (SSA, INT, DIV, MISC, B, G, R, etc.) and all 1098 forms;
• All forms indicating federal or state income tax paid;
• Dependent care provider identification;
• Itemized deductions for Schedule A;
• Routing and bank account numbers for directly depositing refund;
• Any other paperwork that you think might be helpful.
People are advised that the wait time during the opening week could be up to four hours.
For answers to tax questions, visit www.irs.gov and www.oregon.gov/dor
For more information, call Darlene at 541-265-8298. For the complete article see the 01-29-2014 issue.
Click here to view the 01-29-2014 E-Edition containing the rest of this article.